Sunday, July 19

Summer in Boston

Today is an absolutely beautiful and exemplary summer day in Boston. It is 82 degrees. The strong sun shine convinces you that it's hotter, but the gentle breeze and cool shade remind you that it's not. We packed up lunch, a wiffle bat and balls, and more gear than it seems possible to need for one day, and headed to the Frog Pond on the Common. Jack and Elliot rushed into the water and spent about 15 minutes there, then spent the rest of their time playing ball. Mattie just got in and out of the water over and over again. We got Italian Ices on the walk home, and an ice cold iced tea for me. I'd say that the boys all had a great time, had their constant complaints not assured me otherwise.

I read a Jack Prelutsky poetry book to the kids the other night and was surprised at how simple it was. So, while I nursed Theo back at home this afternoon, I let my mind wander enough to come up with the following (it's actually a song, not a poem, but I don't know how to post music, and I wouldn't dare sing it myself online anyway.)

I love you in the morning,
and in the afternoon.
I love you in the evening,
and underneath the moon.

I love you when you're happy,
and when you're sad and blue.
I'll love you when you're turning one,
and when you're 82.

You are my darling baby,
and my little shining star.
You are the start of dreams I have,
I hope you'll take them far.

And now, with Theo and Mattie sleeping soundly, I'm off to the grocery store. Then, long after I've put all the groceries away, made dinner, cleaned up dinner, and put the boys to bed, hopefully I'll get to unpacking all that stuff we packed up this morning.

No comments: