Monday, July 20

Conversations with Mattie

Jack and Elliot started camp today, so I got to spend much more time than usual with Mattie this morning, including a 30 minute car ride home from camp. He speaks well enough that I sometimes forget how little he is. But soon enough his immature conversational skills surface, and I can't help but remember that he's only 2. Our conversation this morning went something like this:

Mattie's comments are in all caps to express the level of excitement in his voice.

"LOOK, A FIRE ENGINE!"
"Yes, it's a fire engine."
"IT HAS IT'S LIGHTS ON!"
"Wow, it sure does."
"IT HAS IT'S LIGHTS ON MAMA."
"Yes, it has it's lights on."
"IT MUST BE GOING BACK TO THE FIRE STATION!"
"Hmmm. Maybe."
"I THINK IT'S GOING BACK TO THE FIRE STATION!"
"You're right, it must be going back to the fire station."
"LOOK, A WATERFALL!"
"Yes, a waterfall."
"LOOK A POLICE CAR!"
"Yes, I see the police car."
"LOOK, DUNKIN DONUTS, MAMA!"
"Yes, I see Dunkin Donuts too."
"I LOVE DUNKIN DONUTS!"
"Yes, I love Dunkin Donuts too."
"LOOK, AN AMBULANCE!"
"Oh, wow, we've seen so many different vehicles this morning!"
"IT'S AN AMBULANCE, MAMA."
"Yes, it's an ambulance."
"IT'S A BIG AMBULANCE!"
"Yes, it's a big ambulance."
"IT DOESN'T HAVE IT'S LIGHTS ON TODAY."
"No, it doesn't have it's lights on today."
"IT MUST BE GOING BACK TO THE AMBULANCE STATION!"
"Yes, I think it is going back to the ambulance station too."
"LOOK, A DIGGER!"
"LOOK, A TRAIN!"
...

Sometimes, listening, and repeating everything he says back to him, takes so much effort, that I have trouble concentrating on the road! But, he thinks there's nothing better than a nice, long talk with Mama. Lucky for him, we'll be getting back in the car in just a few short minutes for afternoon pick-up.

No comments: