Tuesday, November 24

Why Did the Turkey Cross the Road?

We are in Berwyn right now, for a pre-Thanksgiving visit with my parents. I love it when my kids spend time with their grandparents. They all enjoy it so much, that I can step back and just be a casual observer for a change! Ahhhhh... For a special treat today, my dad took the day off, and we all went to the Crayola Factory. Everyone had a great time. (I highly recommend it if you're passing through PA.) One of the things the boys enjoy sharing with Pop Pop is jokes. My father, like his father, has a great sense of humor, and loves telling jokes. My memory of my grandfather is that he was always doing one of two things - humming or chuckling. He walked around the house telling jokes, reading jokes, or recalling them to himself. He liked corny jokes, and also jokes with puns or other plays on words. My father is the same. So, it was no surprise to find our lunchtime conversation at the museum today turned to joke telling. Armed with some puns they read recently in a Thanksgiving joke book , my kids joined right in the fun. Here are a few of my favorites, plus the ones the kids really wanted me to include:

Pop Pop:
Why did the turkeys at the baseball game stand up and start dancing?
Because the umpire said it was a fowl ball!

Jack:
Why did the turkey cross the playground?
To get to the other slide!

Elliot:
Why are there the most turkeys in Florida?
Because it is the key state!

Jack:
Why did the turkey take a key to Florida?
Because Florida has the Keys and he is a turKEY!

Elliot:
Why did the turkey go off the field?
To catch a fowl ball!

Pop Pop also shared this joke with us, which was one of his father's favorites, and the only three word pun he had ever heard. It's more of a word riddle, but here it is:
A woman had three sons. They started a cattle ranch. What did they decide to call it?
FOCUS - a place where the sun's rays meet (and the sons raise meat!)

Wishing you all lots of laughter with your families! Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: