Tuesday, March 8

Snowflakes and Compliments


It's almost Spring in Boston (or so we keep telling ourselves!) Every time I gaze out the windows, I see one of our special memories. We decorated the windows of our house with snowflakes this winter. It started way back in November, before a single flake had fallen, when the thought of winter still felt inviting and pleasant. I'm not sure exactly where I got the initial inspiration, but once we started making snowflakes, we couldn't stop! Elliot and Jack helped out as well, making lots of twelve-sided beauties. From a pack of recyclcd printer paper, each one was cut out individually, and they are all beautifully unique. I'm getting ready to take them down for Spring, and I'm not sure if we'll ever do it again, but I hope the kids remember the winter we looked out at the world through snowflakes, and smile.

We also started a new tradition recently that I call the compliments jar. We have colored index cards that anyone can write a compliment down on, then fold it in half, and drop it in the jar. (The lid doesn't have a top, just a rim.) The only rule, is that you can't write a compliment about yourself. About once a week, when we are all together, we take out all the folded cards, and take turns reading the compliments. Everyone loves hearing the praise! I do most of the writing, but Jack and Elliot have also joined in and added compliments not just about their siblings, but about Ted and me as well. I try to think of at least one thing to compliment someone on each day, so we usually end up reading 5-8 cards at a time. I often notice the kids peering into the jar, to see if any new compliments have appeared. Their eyes light up as they ponder who they might about!

No comments: