Tuesday, March 30

Weight Limit

I got a letter in the mail from Elliot's school today, saying that, pursuant to MA general laws, Elliot was screened for a healthy BMI. Not surprisingly, he did not fall in the healthy range (anywhere between the 5th and 85th percentiles.) Based on his school assessment, his BMI was 12, which was, "Off Scale". Ironically, I had also noticed myself that Elliot seemed skinnier than usual lately, so I made an appointment with our pediatrician for a weight check on Thursday. But, me noticing it and getting a letter from the school about it feel entirely different. Elliot is a terribly picky eater, and Ted and I both refuse to serve the kids special kid-friendly meals. We also buy very little junk food. If the kids don't like what we serve, they are stuck waiting until the next snack or meal time for something different. Elliot constantly complains that he is hungry, but often refuses to eat what we serve. Dinner is our biggest challenge. I struggle, watching him leave the table having eaten little or nothing several nights a week. Everyone assures me that kids will not starve themselves; if they are hungry they will eat. I believe this myself, but have to wonder if I don't have the one exception to the rule in front of me. Most people tell me I'm lucky, especially in today's climate of childhood obesity, but getting a child to try and like new foods seems just as challenging as getting one who loves food to eat less.

Along with their letter, the school also sent home a form that our family doctor must sign. So now, with a little extra dose of guilt, I'm headed off to the see the pediatrician tomorrow, form in hand.

(The photos at left were taking during a particularly unpleasant dinner over the weekend, before I received the letter. Elliot was forcing down a piece of ketchup covered meat, and sulking about the terrible dinners I make.)


No comments: