Wednesday, February 24

Mondays with Mom Day, or Captain Mattie

Mattie goes to school three days a week. Mondays and Fridays he's home with me and Theo. My housekeeper works on Mondays, so I usually leave Theo (mostly asleep) with her, and take Mattie out for a special Monday with Mom Day. We've been taking a tumbling class, so this week we headed there. Afterward we stopped at Whole Foods for a very sweet one on one grocery shopping trip. I enjoyed it even more because Mattie accompanied me in full pirate regalia - hat, vest and wooden hook. He had been wearing the costume for 24 hours straight at that point, but I still couldn't help smiling every time I looked at him. He was acting so normally, as if he had been a pirate since the day he was born. There's something about that genuine naturalness (is that a word?) that just makes you smile! It was infectious too - he had many other people smiling in the store as well.

After our gymnastics and grocery shopping, we headed home for a relaxing cup of pirate tea. While he enjoyed a few brief hours as a witch yesterday, it was the pirate's life for him again this morning. And I dropped him off at school with it still on.

No comments: